If you’re planning a trip to the beautiful town of Cabarete in the Dominican Republic, getting there from Santiago is a relatively straightforward process. Located just 68km away, Cabarete offers a stunning beach and an array of water sports and outdoor activities. In this article, we’ll explore three different options for traveling from Santiago to Cabarete, each with its own advantages and considerations. Whether you prefer convenience, affordability, or adventure, you’ll find a suitable transportation option to reach your destination.
1. Easiest Option: Taxi Service
The easiest and most convenient way to get to Cabarete from Santiago is by using a taxi service. You can arrange for a taxi to pick you up at the airport and drive you directly to your destination. There are two options for securing a taxi: you can either request a taxi through your accommodation or find one at the airport yourself.
When booking a taxi, make sure to choose a registered driver. You can verify this by checking if the driver has a card. Additionally, the taxi should have a taxi topper on the roof. It’s recommended to negotiate the price before entering the taxi, although the average cost is around US$100. However, keep in mind that fares are per trip, regardless of the number of passengers. If you’re traveling at night, be prepared to possibly pay a higher rate due to limited transportation options.
Local’s Tips for Taxi Service
- Have the correct amount of US dollars or Dominican pesos ready as the driver may not have change.
- If you’re carrying bulky sporting equipment, expect to pay an additional fee of approximately $10.
- Print out a map and familiarize yourself with the route as there are no proper addresses in Cabarete. Being alert and communicative with your driver can save you time and unnecessary complications.
- If traveling at night, request the driver to take the route through Puerto Plata instead of the mountain road, which can be more dangerous after dark.
2. Less Expensive/More Time: Taking the Bus
For those seeking a more cost-effective option, taking the bus from Santiago to Cabarete is a viable choice. While it may require some additional taxi hopping, the bus journey itself is affordable and comfortable. Both Metro and Caribe Tours are reliable bus companies that offer trips to Sosua, the closest town to Cabarete. Here’s a step-by-step guide to taking the bus:
- Hail a taxi (minivan) at the airport and ask the driver to take you to either Metro or Caribe Tours, which are located one block away from each other. The taxi fare is approximately US$18 or RD700-800 and takes around 15 minutes. If you prefer a more economical option, you can find local taxis just outside the airport on the street for about $US5 or RD200.
- Purchase a ticket to Sosua from either Caribe Tours or Metro Bus. The departure schedules can be found on their respective websites. The journey from Santiago to Sosua usually takes around 2 hours.
- Once you arrive in Sosua, you can take a guagua, a public minibus, to Cabarete. These minibuses pass by every 10 minutes or so. Just wave your hand to signal the driver, and they will stop. Keep in mind that if you have a significant amount of luggage, this may not be the most convenient option. The guagua ride from Sosua to Cabarete typically takes about 30 minutes and costs approximately RD$30.
Local’s Tips for Taking the Bus
- When negotiating prices, it’s advisable to do so before getting into a taxi or guagua.
- Ensure you have a mix of US dollars and small change pesos when leaving the airport, as change might not be readily available. Having both currencies can also prevent any exchange rate disputes.
- Please note that the prices mentioned here are approximate and subject to change.
3. Most Adventurous Option: Renting a Car
For the more adventurous travelers who enjoy the freedom of the open road, renting a car offers an exciting way to get to Cabarete from Santiago. However, it’s important to consider the driving conditions and habits in the Dominican Republic, which may differ from what you’re accustomed to. We strongly advise against driving at night due to the limited street lights and potential hazards on the road.
Renting a car in the Dominican Republic can be a bit different from other countries, and one-way rental costs can be high. It’s crucial to request a clear quote from the rental company and inquire about any additional charges that may arise when dropping off the car in Puerto Plata.
Local’s Tips for Renting a Car
- If you choose to rent a car, expect to pay approximately US$6.50 per gallon for gas.
- Driving in the Dominican Republic can be challenging, so it’s recommended for experienced and confident drivers.
- Avoid driving at night due to poor visibility and potential obstacles on the road.
Traveling to get to Cabarete from Santiago offers various options to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you choose the easiest option of using a taxi service, the more cost-effective alternative of taking the bus, or the adventurous route of renting a car, each method has its own advantages and considerations. Plan your journey accordingly, ensuring you have the necessary currency, maps, and information to make your trip as smooth as possible.
|Way to Get to Cabarete from Santiago||Time Needed||Approximate Cost||Convenience (1-5)|
|Taxi Service||1.5 hours||$100||5|
|Taking the Bus||2.5 hours||$25||3|
|Renting a Car||1.5 hours||$45 per day||4|
Please note that the time needed and approximate costs are approximate values and may vary depending on factors such as traffic conditions and specific circumstances. The convenience rating is subjective and based on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest level of convenience.
How long does it take to get to Cabarete from Santiago by taxi?
The journey usually takes approximately 1.5 hours, depending on traffic conditions.
Are there toilets available on the buses from Santiago to Sosua?
Yes, both Metro and Caribe Tours buses have onboard toilets for passengers’ convenience.
Is it necessary to negotiate the taxi fare before getting into the vehicle?
It’s advisable to negotiate the price in advance to ensure a fair rate. However, some taxis may already have fixed prices.
Can I find rental cars in Cabarete itself?
Yes, there are car rental agencies in Cabarete. However, it’s recommended to arrange the rental in Santiago to ensure availability and competitive rates.
Are there any specific driving laws or regulations I should be aware of in the Dominican Republic?
It’s important to familiarize yourself with the local traffic rules and regulations, including speed limits, right-of-way, and road signage. Observe defensive driving practices and remain cautious at all times.